HAWAIIAN PULLED PORK APPETIZERS
recipe by Urban Bliss Life
10 slices of Franz Premium Hawaiian Bread, cut into approximately 2- ½” rounds with a cookie or pastry cutter (two rounds per slice)
- 1 lb boneless pork shoulder
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 6-oz can pineapple juice
- ½ cup pineapple cut into very small cubes
- ¼ cup red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
To make the pulled pork:
- Salt and pepper the pork on all sides.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining pulled pork ingredients (onion through pineapple juice) to make the sauce.
- Add pork to a slow cooker, then pour sauce over the pork and mix until pork is fully coated.
- Cook in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
To make the slaw:
- In a large bowl, combine all slaw ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate while the pulled pork cooks.
Assemble the appetizer:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a round cookie or pastry cutter (about 2- ½” in diameter), cut out two circles from each slice of bread.
- Place bread rounds on a baking sheet in one layer and bake until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Top each baked bread round with about one tablespoon of pulled pork, then top with about one tablespoon of pineapple slaw.
- Serve hot or cold.
Note: you will likely have some pulled pork and pineapple slaw leftover. These can be refrigerated and kept in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Enjoy the leftovers with full slices of Franz Hawaiian bread for delicious lunch sandwiches!