ITALIAN SAUSAGE BREAKFAST SANDWICH
recipe by Urban Bliss Life
Makes 4 servings
- 8 slices of Franz Bakery Organic Great Seed Bread
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup spinach
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese (2 slices per sandwich)
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground Italian sausage, minced garlic clove, and chopped parsley and tarragon until the garlic and herbs are well blended and distributed throughout.
- Form four rectangular patties to fit the size of the bread slices.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Working in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan, cook sausage patties until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Set cooked patties aside on a plate. If you wish, you may drain any excess oil (all but one tablespoon, which you’ll need for the eggs) from the pan before cooking the eggs.
- Using the same pan, cook eggs to your liking; fried, over easy/medium/hard, and scrambled all work for this sandwich.
- Once the eggs are cooked, set them aside, along with the patties.
- In the same pan, add spinach and stir, cooking until the spinach has wilted slightly and turned a darker green color. Remove from heat.
Now it’s time to build your sandwich!
- Either in a microwave on a microwave safe plate, or in the same pan that you used for cooking the other ingredients, heat two overlapping slices of cheese on top of a slice of bread just until the cheese has melted. Continue until you have four slices of bread topped with melted cheese.
- Top each slice with one Italian sausage patty.
- Top each with one egg.
- Add a handful of cooked spinach to the top of each.
- Top each sandwich with another slice of bread.